Taj Karela Cut 300gm
INGREDIENTS : karela rings ( bitter gourd )
|Quantity per 100g|
|Of which saturated||0g|
TIPS TO MAKE BITTER GOURD :
Different people have different ways to tame the bitterness quotient of karela. One such thing that I have learned from my mother’s kitchen is to include a bit of jaggery at the final stage of cooking. Teaming it with other vegetables like onions, potatoes, tomatoes can also help in bringing down the bitterness. Some other tips are — Scrape the veggie properly
– Remove all the seeds, especially the big ones
– Wash properly, cut and marinate with salt and leave aside for at least half an hour
– Squeeze the juice out
– Wash properly ensuring the removal of excess salt
– You can also boil cut pieces in a solution of water and lemon
– Soaking the veggie in tamarind juice for at least half an hour before cooking can also help
Once the excess bitterness is done away with, cooking with this vegetable becomes easy.
RECIPES : stuffed karela with cheese
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium karelas
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1 small broccoli head, finely chopped
- 1/2 tomato (finely diced)
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 4-5 basil leaves
- A pinch of cinnamon powder
- A pinch of clove powder
- A pinch of red chillii flakes
- A dash of balsamic vinegar
- 50-60 gms emmental cheese, grated (You can use normal cheese also)
- Spice dust / coating:
- 2 1/2 tbsp besan (gram flour)
- 2 1/2 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp jeera powder
COOKING TIME :
- 1.Peel and cut the karelas lengthwise in half, scoop out the seeds and inner flesh.
- 2.Sprinkle them with salt to release the moisture.
- 3.Drain the excess water and keep the karelas pressed under a heavy weight, overnight or for 3-4 hours.
- Prepare the filling:
- 1.Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and saute the onion, bell pepper, broccoli for about 30 seconds.
- 2.Mix in the tomato, salt, basil leaves, cinnamon powder, clove powder, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and red chilli flakes.
- 3.Cook for for another 40 seconds approx and remove from the stove.
- Prepare the spice dust:
- 1.In a big dry plate, mix the besan, corn flour, onion powder, garlic powder and jeera powder together
- Prepare the karelas:
- Stuff the karela halves with the filling and grated cheese.
- Close both half tightly and roll them in this spice dust
- Heat enough oil to pan fry the karelas for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Cut into cubes and serve hot.
SERVES 2 PEOPLE !!! 🍽🍽